Come one! Come All! To the Annual William Christopher Hyde Reunion (Saturday, September 10,2016) at Tannehill State Park in McCalla, Alabama. It’s time again for the Annual Hyde Reunion of William Christopher Hyde’s relatives and friends.
Tannehill State Park is located off of the Bucksville Exit of Interstate 59 (Exit 100). There are signs that you can follow. Also, if you are coming from I-459 then it is the first exit at McCalla (Exit 1). You go past McAdory High School several miles and it is on the left. The road you are traveling is Eastern Valley Road. It has a big sign that says Tannehill State Park. Tannehill is located in three Counties: Jefferson, Bibb and Tuscaloosa Counties.
THE REUNION is at the Kiwanis Shed near the PLAYGROUND and by the museum. After you get to the entrance of the park you will turn right. Look for signs. The shed should also have a sign that says Hyde Reunion on it.
William Christopher Hyde was the Tin Peddler who moved all over Alabama and he was born in Hall County, Georgia. He lived in these Counties in Alabama: Fayette, Walker, Jefferson, Bibb and Shelby.
He married twice and had 10 children by each wife. Here are his family names:
His first wife was Caroline Margaret Farley born abt. 1825 in Alabama died Before 1872.
Children of William Christopher Hyde and Caroline Margaret Farley:
1. Elizabeth Hyde b. abt. 1846 in Mississippi. She married Joseph Sewell or Joseph Sewett.
2. May Hyde b. abt. 1850 in Mississippi
3. Jane Hyde b. abt 1853 in Alabama. She married David Deramus or David Geramas
4. James Montgomery Hyde b. abt 1854 married to a Sarah E. ? told he was married several times but I don’t have any other spouses.
5. Julia Hyde b. abt. 1855 in Alabama. She married a Booth.
6. Margaret Hyde abt. 1857 in Alabama married a Pickett one time and a Hatcher one time.
7. Arvel (Arv, Arvil) Hyde his first name might have been Francis. b. 20 Jul 1860 in Alabama d. 30 Jan 1956 in
Rutledge Springs, Jefferson County, Alabama. Buried at Hullins Chapel Cemetery, Springville, St. Clair County, Alabama. Married Mary Mitchell (b. abt. 1855) Married Eliza Francis McCay (b. Dec 13, 1890) May 1918 in Springville, St. Clair County, Alabama
8. Willie Hyde b. 1865 died unknown
9. Susan Hyde b. May 14, 1867 Died June 19, 1932 and she married a Boothe.
William’s second wife: Selia (Celia) Bircheat (It has different last name spellings) b. Oct 24, 1847 in Alabama died May 10 1910 and she is buried at Antioch Baptist Church Cemetery in Shelby County. She is buried by William Christopher Hyde.
Children of William and Celia:
1. Joel W. Hyde b. March 6, 1873 in Fayette, Fayette County, Alabama and died September 5, 1892 and he is also buried at Antioch Baptist Church.
2. Christopher William Hyde (AKA Buddy Hyde) b. Fayette County, Alabama. But I have been also told he was born in Ga. I will have to check on this. d. Feb 12, 1919 He married Sara Elizabeth Clark (B. Jan 10, 1878)on August 1, 1897.
3. Shelby Lee Hyde (Shep) He was a Primitive Baptist Preacher. b. August 13, 1876 d. October 29, 1964 in Alabama. He married Mary Elizabeth Callie Jane Majors (b. Mar 26, 1884) on Feb 18, 1900. His second wife was Ossie Norris (b. June 27, 1891).
4. Austin Augustine Hyde b. May 11, 1878 in Fayette, Fayette County, Alabama d. Oct. 25, 1958 in Birmingham, Alabama. Married Sarah Jane Sylina Ann White (b May 6, 1882) September 19, 1899 In Birmingham, Alabama
5. Burl Boston Hyde b. September 20, 1879 in Walker County, Alabama d. Feb 20, 1957 in Bibb County,Alabama married Mary Ann Blake (b Aug 26, 1887)on September 20 1913.
6. Rufus F. Hyde He was a Primitive Baptist Preacher. b.October 27, 1881 in Walker County, Alabama d. July 19, 1947 in Chilton County, Alabama married Amie Viola Williams (b 1882) on July 20 1902.
7. John Newton Hyde b. May 19, 1885 d. August 5, 1947 He married Ossie Norris (b June 27, 1891) Apr 4 1910.
8. Thomas Jefferson Hyde b April 18, 1887 in Shelby County Alabama d. Apr 1971. He married Nettie Majors (b. abt 1895) Mar 12, 1908.
9. Caroline (Carrie) Hyde Collins b. September 6, 1888 in Bibb county, Alabama d. June 16 1971. She married Joseph Michael Collins (Apr 5, 1881) on Apr 18 1903 in Bibb County, Alabama
10. Henry Clay (Clay) Hyde b. August 16, 1890 d. July 5, 1960 He married Alice Marie Clark (b. Feb. 11, 1895) on Mar 3, 1911.
William Christopher Hyde’s parents are thought to be Austin and Julia Bell Hide. Their family is thought to be as follows:
Austin Hide, M, b. Bet. 1790-1794, d. Aft. 1865
Wife 1, Julia Ann Bell, F, b. Abt. 1790
Child 1, F, b. 1810-1815
Child 2, M, b. 1815-1820
Child 3, M, b. 1815-1820
Child 4, M, b. 1815-1820
Child 5, F, b. 1820-1825
Child 6, F, b. 1820-1825
Child 7, M, b. 1825-1830
Child 8, M, William Christopher Hyde, b. 3/28/1828, m.
Caroline Farley Abt. 1845, d. 10/29/1913
Child 9, F, Julia Ann Hyde, b. 8/21/1830, m. Elam Booth Abt.
1850, d. 10/26/1897
Child 10, F, Mary Hyde, b. 1833, m. David Pickett Abt. 1848, d. 1910
Child 11, F, Delia Hyde, b. Abt. 1835, d. Bef. 1850
Wife 2, Mary Gross, b. Abt 1798, m. Abt 1842, d. Aft. 1880
Child 12, F, Frances Hide, b. 6/30/1843, m. James Wesley Booth 9/29/1861, d. 4/5/1920
Child 13, F, Martha Hide, b. 8/1847, m. Zachariah Taylor Honeycutt 11/14/1869, d. 2/1924
Child 14, F, Anna Hide, b. Abt 1855, m. Gonzelo A. Varnon, d. 4/14/1930
If you need any more information or directions on how to go please email me at LDLat7@gmail.com. I will be happy to give you directions. Or tell you more about this family if interested.
Everyone that is related or knows this family please come. We will be having dinner there too. Bring a dish with you and let’s enjoy each other’s company. Also, please bring old pictures and any information on your family that you have.
For more information about Tannehill please check their website at www.tannehill.org.
Let’s keep this Reunion going on for generations to come!!
Hope to see you there!!
Leah Hyde Latimer